[Shop-talk] OT--car won't start

Subject: [Shop-talk] OT--car won't start
From: bk13 at earthlink.net (Brian Kemp)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 06:53:38 -0800
Tim - I go along the thinking the battery may be done.  Have you checked
the battery water level if it isn't sealed?  If you can see the top of
the plates, it is likely done.

Jiggle all the battery connections to make sure nothing is loose.

Measure the voltage of the battery without the tender connected.  Wait a
few hours without any charging/ starting activity and measure again.  If
it is much below 12 volts, it is probably gone.

Look at the date stamp on the battery as well.  If it is past 3-4 years
and a cheap battery, consider it done.  Once an old battery gets way
down there or when battery starts to go, it is likely to go fast.

Bottom line:   It this is for your daughter's use over the holidays, the
cost of replacement is small compared to leaving her stranded in the
cold trying to get a jump from a stranger and you are going to have to
replace it anyway.  Go for the piece of mind.  I get all my batteries at
Costco if that is an option for you.  To put this on a recent thread,
they are in the tire center out in Los Angeles Costco stores.

Brian