Re: [Shop-talk] OT--car won't start

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT--car won't start
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:39:40 -0500
At 08:47 AM 12/21/2011, Tim wrote:

 >92 Ford Tempo, less than 65K miles--legitimate miles as it only had
51K on it when we got it and had the
 >original plug wires dated 1992 when we got the car. It was a true
little old lady car.....

 >I tried to start the car yesterday (approx 35 degrees at the time)
and it was acting like the battery was down
 >on charge: barely turning over. I hooked up my battery charger, put
it on the "start" setting and tried again. I
 >basically got the same result with only slightly faster turn over
speed. The starter has always sounded good
 >and the car has always started since we got it.

I agree with the others, and old dying battery.  BUT, also check the
battery cables for tightness and cleanleness
at both ends of the cable - the battery, and the block (ground) and
starter solenoid.  When checking the cable
connections, ***  be sure to disconnect the negative terminal from
the battery before trying to clean or putting
a wrench on any of the connectors.  ***

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums