[Shop-talk] Tile backer board on concrete floor

Subject: [Shop-talk] Tile backer board on concrete floor
From: kvacek at ameritech.net (Karl Vacek)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:11:46 -0500
We're going to install onyx tile in our entryway - not much over 100 square
feet.  The floor is a concrete slab, but I have to build up the level by
over 1-1/2" to match the adjacent hardwood.

I planned to cross-lay a few layers of the gray-colored
fiberglass-mesh-covered cement board that I always ignore when I go to buy
drywall, but now that I'm looking for it I find that there's really a large
selection of materials.  Some seem relatively soft like cardboard (which
concerns me), some are hard but very thin, etc.  Given that I'm going over a
solid concrete floor and it's not a shower (part of the area is indeed the
powder room, but no shower), are there any compelling reasons to use one
material over another?

I plan to shoot nails through to the concrete to hold the underlayment in
place, if that matters.  Some of the boardI see is supposed to be installed
on a bed of thin-set, but that's a problem because I'm leaving the very
sound and well-adhered sheet vinyl floor in place as a vapor barrier.  I'm
sure it contains asbestos and it's really glued all over, so I'm not
inclined to try to chisel it up.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Karl