[Shop-talk] Identifying taper and threading attachments on a

Subject: [Shop-talk] Identifying taper and threading attachments on a
From: arvidj at visi.com (Arvid Jedlicka)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:24:57 -0500
That is what the threading dial and the documentation is for. Depending on
the gearing between the lead screw and the chuck and the threads you are
cutting you can engage the half nut any time, only when the the number 1 is
by the pointer, only when 1 and 3 are by the pointer ... the documentation
will spell it all out. What it is doing is synchronizing the chuck and the
lead screw so the cutter will always follow the same path with each pass.

When they removed the pipe from the chuck after threading all bets were off
as to synchronizing the existing threads with the cutter when they put it
back in the chuck.  Easier to just start over again.