Re: [Shop-talk] Identifying taper and threading attachments on a

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Identifying taper and threading attachments on a
From: Neil Sherry <neiljsherry@talktalk.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:39:16 +0100
My recollection is that for ANY thred you can re-engage the nut on the
same point that you were on the dial (eg if you were first engaged on 1
- you can always re-engage on 1). Certain threads can then be
re-enagaged with the dial on the odds - so 1 or 3, some on any number,
some on any mark (ie the halves as well). So, if in doubt, just wait for
the original point on the dial...

The other thing I have done on light threads is to run the lathe
backwards - with the tool upside down. This allows you to cut a RH
thread away from the chuck - which is useful if you are running up close
to the chuck. Of course it puts all the wrong loads on the machine
(having a tendancy to lift the slides off the bedways) so not ideal -
but can be done for small cuts on a small thread.
Neil

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums