[Shop-talk] 80 cubic foot acetylene bottle?

Subject: [Shop-talk] 80 cubic foot acetylene bottle?
From: markmiller at threeboysfarm.com (Mark Miller)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 23:34:52 -0700
<<

So a local guy has some 200 c.f. oxygen bottles. I'm going to buy them so I
don't have to rent them. He's also got an 80 c.f. acetylene bottle he
offered me. I'm checking to see if the local place will exchange it, but
provided it will, is it worth buying the 80 c.f. over renting a 200 c.f.
tank?

It's not the cost I'm thinking about so much as having to constantly re-fill
the 80 c.f. tank. I'll have two 200 c.f. oxygen bottles, so I could go a
good long time on those. I know I'll use more oxygen than acetylene, but I
don't remember how much.

Should I keep the 200 c.f. rental, or swap it out for the 80 c.f. I buy
(provided they'll swap that one).

Thanks.

If the tank is inexpensive and you are able to get it filled I would take
it.  Either you will find it lasts for your needs or it doesn't and it can
become a backup for whenever the one you use as your standard runs out.  We
have propane heat at home and the few times the 250 gallon tank ran out it
was very nice to be able to attach one of our backup 5 gallon BBQ tanks.
Lasts long enough for someone to come out and get the big one refilled.
That could become the job of this 80 ft tank.  Or it will last long enough
to be your primary.

Mark Miller