[Shop-talk] Streamlight Batteries

Subject: [Shop-talk] Streamlight Batteries
From: mayfield+shoptalk at sackheads.org (Jimmie Mayfield)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 00:08:38 -0400
On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 10:23:13PM -0400, eric at megageek.com wrote:
> Ok, I have a Streamlight 20XP flashlight that I love. The batteries are
> dead.  Here is a link to the replacement ones...

According to streamlight.com, the 20XP uses sub-C NiCd batteries.  SubC NiCd
cells are readily available from various vendors online so it's not difficult
to rebuild the pack yourself.  Your OEM battery pack probably used solder tab
cells but you might want to disassemble to make sure.

A couple comments:

1) Streamlight claims the OEM pack is NiCd.  NiCd sub-C batteries are typically
   rated around 1500 mAh.  It might be worthwhile to try switching to NiMH.
   A sub-C NiMH should be able to handle the 1.3A current draw of your lightbulb
   and will roughly double your runtime.  This assumes, of course, that your
   charger can handle NiMH.

2) FWIW, the XP20 is rated at 145lm for 1.5hr.  While that's nothing to sneeze
   at, you might consider upgrading to an LED-based flashlight.  You can have
   greater light output in a pocketable light (the 2xAA-based Fenix LD20 is
   rated at 180lm for 2.25hr).  If you need a tactical light, there are lots
   of options in the 800lm range.  Some of these even use AA batteries.  Going
   further, there are several multi-LED flashlights out there that are rated
   upwards of 2000lm though if you need something that bright an HID-based
   light might serve you better.  Anyway, just a thought...

JM