[Shop-talk] Window a/c unit for the garage

Subject: [Shop-talk] Window a/c unit for the garage
From: jblair1948 at cox.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 19:33:20 -0400
At 12:44 AM 8/5/2011, Jorge wrote:

 >I am looking for a window/though the wall a/c unit to cool and heat
my garage.
 >Based on an online calculator looks like I will need a 18000BTU
unit, minimum,
 >to cool my 23x33x11 garage. Consumer Reports had a report on just such units
 >but the largest was 12000BTU. Their winner was LG but since I
require a larger
 >unit I don't know if their brand recommendation still applies.
 >
 >Do any of you guys have any experience with this type of a/c units (actually
 >heat pumps). Do you recommend any brand(s) in particular? Any comments
 >suggestions would be appreciated.

Jorge,

"Eric J Russell" on this list used a system from
Ramsond  http://www.ramsond.com/ . Here are some
pictures to Erics installation:

Outside units:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2689817330044267019MwzSIU
Inside unit:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2390283140044267019nPIrxI
Garage remodel album: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/570714378cIOpnc

He stated:

"I installed a pair of 'ductless mini split' heat & A/C heat pumps in
our remodeled garage with 'bonus room' above (one unit for
garage/shop the other for the bonus room above. Both the garage &
bonus room are insulated. I bought two 18,000 BTU units from Ramsond.
http://www.ramsond.com/minizone.php

Fairly simple to install. 3" dia hole through the wall with two
copper pipes (insulated) & a drain line (for the A/C dehumidifier)
and some 14 ga wires between the indoor unit and the heat pump
outside. The units come pre-charged with refrigerant. I paid an A/C
tech to evacuate the lines before opening the valves to start up the
units but did all the installation myself. I ran the exterior lines
through some PVC drain pipe to protect them and make it look
'finished'. I am pleased with the operation. They are quiet and heat
& cool fairly quickly."

They make units up to about 2 tons (24000 BTUs).  I contacted them as
I want to put one in my garage and room over the garage.  They
suggested a 1 Ton for
the garage, and 3/4 ton for the room over the garage.  $1,600 for both units
delivered.

That seemed quite cost effective!!!

John
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty -
the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for  oneself;
                  freedom  from  control  or  restriction