[Shop-talk] Window a/c unit for the garage

Subject: [Shop-talk] Window a/c unit for the garage
From: pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com (PJ McGarvey)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 15:47:03 -0400
This summer I added an old window unit left over from someone who no longer
needed it (free).

I think one of the main things it does is bring the humidity down to around
50% consistently, and that stays for awhile even if you don't run it for a day
or so as long as the doors are shut.
With low humidity, even at 80F it's still pretty bearable - you're not
dripping in sweat...

If you're into woodworking, this will keep your materials from getting too
warped, etc.  If I run it for a few hours in the morning before I go out there
on the weekend, it will cool from 85-75 no problem.  Same if I turn it on an
hour before I go out there in the evening.  I put a Kill a watt on it, and for
an old 18k unit, it uses little power.

I use a ceiling fan in the peaked roof of my detached garage and it keeps the
temp evenly distributed as well.

-PJ