Re: [Shop-talk] Window a/c unit for the garage

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Window a/c unit for the garage
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:17:06 -0400
Thanks, John, it's nice to be remembered! I wasn't able to reply earlier
today - work gets in the way of the things I need to do...

The 'mini-split' units I have work very well, quiet and seem
quite efficient. They are probably a little more costly than a window unit
however. Another option to consider is called a PTAC - the type you see in
many motel rooms. They don't mount in a window though - you'll need to cut
studs and frame the opening with a proper header.

In my pre-remodeled garage I had a 12,000 BTU A/C unit that was meant to
install in a casement window. I bought it because it is 14" wide - I mounted
it through-the-wall without needing to cut any studs.

There are two issues with window mount units IMO. 1) they block the window's
light & ability to open for fresh air and B) they can be difficult to secure
leaving the garage vulnerable to break-in.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell