Re: [Shop-talk] New house / underground oil tank

To: Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New house / underground oil tank
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:14:23 -0500
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net> wrote:
> I had an underground oil tank for few years in OR. Heating bills were going
> out of sight, so I switched to a heat pump and had them fill the tank with
> sand. I sold the pumped out oil to a friend of a friend. Fortunately, this
one
> didn't leak, but I did hear a horror story or two about what happens if
they
> do leak. Sure glad it's gone.

It's generally not legal to do that.  typical abondon in place
procedure involves cutting large hole in the top, removing the sludge,
steam cleaning, and then back filling.  Plus lots of exploratory well
drilling, to verify it didn't leak.  It's almost always cheaper to
remove it.   Only exceptions are where someone's done something
stupid, like build on top of it.  Rules vary by state, and even if
what you did was legal when you did, you may still have to remove it
before you can sell, if the rules have changed (or you simply can't
find a buyer who can get a mortgage for a property with potential
liabilities for ground water pollution.)