Re: [Shop-talk] New house / underground oil tank

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New house / underground oil tank
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 22:13:02 -0400
Here is the deal. Don't touch the property unless they remove the tank
first.  Here is why...

Tanks haven't been buried in a long time.  If they are in the ground, they
are old.  If they are old, they most likely leak.

If they leak, it is expensive to clean it up!  True, there are insurance
policies for this, but as a new buyer, you may not be able to get one.

My 1000 Gal was just pulled and it leaked.  I had insurance and the whole
thing cost me about $4000.  Without insurance, it would have been tens of
thousands of dollars!

If it would have been in the water table, or on someone else's property,
my policy would not have covered it and it could have been hundreds of
thousands of dollars.

In my search before pulling the tank, I have read about enough people who
went bankrupt with a leaking tank (some with policies that didn't cover
the extended damage.)

If you already bought the place, GET INSURANCE AND REMOVE THE TANK
TODAY!!!! Don't wait another day!!!

Also, COMPLETELY remove the tank, don't just fill it in.

I'm at Army training now, but if you want to talk about this more, email
me and I'll give you my phone number.  It's a very scary road alone!!

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums