[Shop-talk] quiet compressor

Subject: [Shop-talk] quiet compressor
From: eric at megageek.com (eric at megageek.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:17:12 -0400
Mark,

How much air is "not much?"  There are little compressors that run air
brush guns that are quieter than a fan.  Also, fish tanks have compressors
that are very quiet.

If you need enough air for tool use, there are units out there that are
quiet, but you may have to actually hear them run before you can decide if
they are too loud.

Note, putting a compressor in a crate with lots of foam is a bad idea.
They need air supply for cooling and air to compress.  But, you can most
likely locate the compressor someplace else and plumb the air to where you
need it.  That way if it is noisy, its in a server room or an access shaft
that it doesn't bother anyone.

Of course, oil compressors are quieter than oil-less compressors, but the
smaller ones tend to be oil-less.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Hi.  I need a compressor for work that will be used in an office/lab type
environment.  Quiet is what I'm looking for, not a lot of air.  I was
thinking of getting a small pancake type and sticking it in a crate with a
bunch of sound insulating material, but would rather find an inherently
quiet unit.

Thanks in advance, o' list of near infinite knowledge!!

Mark Miller