[Shop-talk] Pulsing brakes

Subject: [Shop-talk] Pulsing brakes
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:41:13 -0400
On 6/22/2011 12:41 AM, Jack Brooks wrote:
> I have a dial indicator and a magnetic base, so there are no good tools to
> acquire on this issue, but I will be checking run out, etc., not to avoid
> buying new rotors, but to try and figure out what is going on.  I also will

I've done this with the indicator stuck on the strut tube.  Had a couple
thou' runout at the edge of the rotor, which turned out to be largely in
the wheel hub.  Was able to cut shim stock to sandwich between hub &
rotor to true it (a little smear of grease on the shim was enough "tack"
to hold it for assembly.)

Also heard some goofy crap over the years, like a machine shop guy that
insisted when turning a rotor you HAD to shim it to intentionally
produce runout, so the rotor would push the pads back and they wouldn't
drag.  Uuuuhhhh... sorry dude, maybe in the infant days of disc brakes
50+ years ago.  But not in any manual I have for any of my cars.

-Wayne