Re: [Shop-talk] Oil analysis - Blackstone

To: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil analysis - Blackstone
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:47:29 -0500
On Jun 25, 2011, at 9:11 PM, BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com> wrote:

> You've got it all wrong, I don't do 3k miles anymore.  Now I do 4k
> miles.
>

> Actually my understanding is that oil has gotten worse recently,
> something about removing the additives that protect against friction.

No. Not at all.

Certain sorts of additives that ancient engines, designed based
depend on have been reduced.  It's a non issue for modern engines,
which are largely designed around modern lubricants. Even in the case
of old-fashioned engines designed around in sufficent lubricants, oil
analysis will tell you when you've left your oil too long.