[Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum

Subject: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum
From: shiples at comcast.net (Steve Shipley)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:17:26 -0800
At 04:40 PM 1/15/2011 -0600, Jim Stone wrote:
>Thanks guys.  In answer to the first question, I did Google it before posting
>here and even found the Tin Man video on YouTube, although not his website
>which is a nice link to have in the future.  The problem with his demo is that
>he is using an Oxyacetylene torch and I need to know if it can be done well
>enough to be safe (the hole is directly below the carburetor, so any leaks
>would drip on the exhaust manifold) using MAAP gas.  The demo refers to a
>"soft flame" on the torch.  How hot is that relative to a full blast of MAAP?
>
>I also found a few discussions indicating that it was possible with MAAP, but
>was hoping to get that confirmed from someone I trusted.
>
>Steve: your note says that "The answer to
>your question is" in Ken White's website.  I've looked around it but, other
>than buying his book on repairing aluminum, I don't see it.  What am I
>missing?

Use the Ask an Expert web form.  I'm certainly not an expert.

>For what its worth: I did my test repair using some BernzOmatic aluminum
>soldering/brazing rod that I bought about 15 years ago.  My test repair seems
>just fine, although it bothers me that the aluminum rod never really flowed
>into the manifold.  On the other hand, when I removed the heat and wiped the
>area down with a rag, the hole basically disappeared and grinding the area
>flat fails to show the outline of the hole.  The Durafix is an interesting
>looking product and might be good to have around and better than the rod I
>have.  However, I need to get the manifold to the power coater fairly quickly
>and hate to delay things waiting for mail order.

If you can't wait, it sounds like your test procedure worked.  I'd be afraid
that the plug could fall out and end up bouncing around in the combustion
chamber.  That's why I'd take the manifold to someone who repairs
aluminum cylinder heads and pay to have it welded.

>Any other advice will be appreciated.
Can you drill and tap the hole in the aluminum manifold and buy or build
an aluminum plug?  That way you'd have a mechanical fix for the plug
and the brazing/soldering would disguise the plug.