Re: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum

To: <jblair1948@cox.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:40:25 -0600
Thanks guys.  In answer to the first question, I did Google it before posting
here and even found the Tin Man video on YouTube, although not his website
which is a nice link to have in the future.  The problem with his demo is that
he is using an Oxyacetylene torch and I need to know if it can be done well
enough to be safe (the hole is directly below the carburetor, so any leaks
would drip on the exhaust manifold) using MAAP gas.  The demo refers to a
"soft flame" on the torch.  How hot is that relative to a full blast of MAAP?

I also found a few discussions indicating that it was possible with MAAP, but
was hoping to get that confirmed from someone I trusted.

Steve: your note says that "The answer to
your question is" in Ken White's website.  I've looked around it but, other
than buying his book on repairing aluminum, I don't see it.  What am I
missing?

For what its worth: I did my test repair using some BernzOmatic aluminum
soldering/brazing rod that I bought about 15 years ago.  My test repair seems
just fine, although it bothers me that the aluminum rod never really flowed
into the manifold.  On the other hand, when I removed the heat and wiped the
area down with a rag, the hole basically disappeared and grinding the area
flat fails to show the outline of the hole.  The Durafix is an interesting
looking product and might be good to have around and better than the rod I
have.  However, I need to get the manifold to the power coater fairly quickly
and hate to delay things waiting for mail order.

Any other advice will be appreciated.

Jim