Re: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum
From: "scottmryan@netzero.net" <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 03:35:13 GMT
The MAAP gas torch is probably hot enough; I would preheat the manifold to
around 500 degrees F or so, then it should bond. (The 'soft' flame on a acet
torch is probably a little cooler, but likely it's suggested to prevent
oxidizing the aluminum.)
I have done aluminum brazing several times (once using propane on a very small
repair), although it's been 15 years? since I last did it. One time was using
some rods from my grandfather, and another time was something I picked up at
the local welding supply shop. All of the repairs I did held up well-one was
for a CV carb bracket/housing for a 83 honda prelude. I did paint all the
repairs since I was not sure if corrosion would compromise the repair.

Good luck! Scott R
PS: I think tapping the hole for a aluminum bolt, sizing it for length, and
beveling the underside of the bolt head (and a matching bezel in the hole),
gluing it in w/ jb weld, and grinding it flush would also work well.