[Shop-talk] Yet another TIG Welder question

Subject: [Shop-talk] Yet another TIG Welder question
From: doug at dougbraun.com (Douglas Braun)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:31:06 -0500
I am interested in getting a TIG welder (the welder of a Jedi Knight,
not as clumsy or random as a MIG), mostly
for auto body work.

Has anybody actually tried the HF 98233 TIG welder, which is on sale
for $349?  This model is a step
up from their bargain-basement $239 TIG welder- it has HF start and
adjustable gas post-flow, and allegedly
has 165 Amps output.

Another possibility is for me to take the high road, and spend about
$1700 on a Miller Diversion 180, which
would give me AC capability and 120-240 volt operation (as well as a
quality tool I can be proud to own
for a long time).  But spending that much would be rough on my budget
and domestic tranquility...

I don't to start another generic "which TIG" or "HF is junk" thread-
I've already read several of those
on other message boards...   I'm more interested in any first-hand
experience with the HF welder (or the Diversion).

BTW, an older used transformer unit isn't really feasible- they are
just too heavy, and use too much electricity.
I have a 240V 30-amp circuit available, which is normally running my compressor.

Thanks,
Doug