Re: [Shop-talk] Yet another TIG Welder question

To: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Yet another TIG Welder question
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 21:04:01 -0500
There seem to be some Chinese AC-DC welders starting at about $1000, but
that's not much less than the price of a Miller Diversion 165.

I don't understand why AC-DC welders are so much more expensive (and heavier)
than Dc-only machines.  I was looking at the Diversion schematic, and the
AC capability is supplied by an electronic inverter switch between
the Dc power supply and the gun.  The inverter is basically 4 big transistors
that alternately connect the positive and negative output to the gun
and work connections.

Doug

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums