Re: [Shop-talk] Snow Chains

To: "'Vincent Marshall'" <vlm@te-motorworks.com>, <eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Snow Chains
From: "Paul Mele" <paul.mele@usermail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:26:33 -0500
from growing up in the snow belt, I'd bet that the improvement from "no
chains" to "any chains" would be at least 10x better than "no weight" to
"any weight";  the disadvantage to chains is trying to drive higher speed on
dry pavement...which isn't an issue here;
also, be mindful to only plow facing up the hill, as this keeps the rear
wheels loaded; i.e. keep the driven wheels on the down-side of the hill/
incline
for fun, try going up (hill) a slippery driveway with front wheel drive
facing forward, then reverse ...

<<<

I have an F Super Duty dually and can attest to how awful it is in the snow.

Weight in the back will help but I've only gone as far as maybe 500 lbs of
sand and it wasn't enough to make any real difference.  You need a lot of
weight.

Let us know how you fare. I have been on the fence about this for years and
am
interested to hear how much of a difference they make for your truck.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums