Re: [Shop-talk] cutting exhaust pipe

To: "Eric Murray" <ericm@lne.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cutting exhaust pipe
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:52:49 -0600
IMHO ... it depends on where you want to cut it and what's around it.

My first thought would be the sawz-all but that would only be if it was
reasonably attached to something. My experience with them is they cut great
as long as what you are cutting will "stand still", but if it wiggles just a
little then the saw blade will move what ever I am cutting back and forth
but not actually cut it. And a very fine tooth metal blade would be best.

Second would be the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. The hard part with
that might be getting all the way around the pipe as you would need a 7 inch
diameter wheel to cut all the way thru a 3 inch pipe from just one side.

Last would be the die grinder. I have all three tools available to me and I
have to admit that the die grinder would never have occurred to me for such
a task.

As I said, depends on where the cut will be made and what ... like the floor
pan ... is around it that will either get in the way of the sawz-all blade
or the angle grinder.

Arvid