Re: [Shop-talk] GM 4l60e transmission problem

To: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GM 4l60e transmission problem
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:04:18 -0500
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM, John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com> wrote:
> $1600 for a rebuild job sounds pretty darn high. B Round here the shops
> charge $600 if you pull the tranny and about $1000 if they remove and
> reinstall. B You can get a decent, low mile unit at the scrapyard for
> less than $700. B But be careful on the year. B There were a lot of
> variations on these. B The '95 is the worst, the one used on the trucks
> that year does not interchange with any other year.

There's a pretty big range of what can be in "rebuilt" transmission.
For six hundred bucks, I wouldn't expect much than "fix what's
busted".  (Actually, from the shops here, I doubt I'd expect "fix
what's busted",  but just "install kit of usual failed parts and
pray".  Other shops might employ people with diagnostic skills.)  1600
does seem a bit steep; I'd shop around, and check what all that
includes.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums