[Shop-talk] Trailer towing

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Trailer towing
From: "Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:21:40 -0800
I'm looking to update our 2002 GMC 2500HD Extended Cab
pickup/short bed for a later truck.  It is fitted with a towing
package,
6.2L V8 with unknown model automatic transmission.  We
tow a 24' enclosed car trailer with workbench and closets built-in.
Currently my largest car we haul is a '32 LaSalle weighing
over 4600 lbs.

We're thinking of a heavy-duty 3/4 ton diesel with automatic
as the new baseline model we're considering.  I like the idea
of the extra torque for the mountain passes we have to cross.
My wife is liking the RAM or Ford models and I'm liking to
keep her happy<grin>  I'm also looking for something at least
4 years old to keep the costs down.

Are there any special models or engines in the Ford or RAM line
to stay away from?  We do want the Crew Cab features but can
easily use the short bed option.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA