Re: [Shop-talk] Formica counter top

To: "Brian Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>, "Shop Talk 'shop-talk'"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Formica counter top
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:44:05 -0500
If there are no screws going up from underneath then it is likely it was
built in place. The substrate might be glued, screwed or nailed down from
above.

If it is in good condition you can clean it well, sand it to remove gloss &
provide some 'tooth' and glue on a new layer of plastic laminate (aka
Formica which is a brand name). I would use solvent based contact cement (no
smoking & lots of ventilation). For new counter tops I use water based
contact cement but I'm not sure how well they will bond to the old counter
top.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell