Re: [Shop-talk] does somebody still make belt driven grinding wheel

To: rkg@teleport.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] does somebody still make belt driven grinding wheel
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:52:29 -0400
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Richard George <rkg@teleport.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at building a rotating boom arm, and realized that the core of
> the assembly is basically what you get with a belt driven grinding wheel
> arbor
> (shaft with a couple of pillow block bearings and a nifty mounting system).
> B  If I could find one of these, I can mount up a rotary table to one
> side, a flange to mount the boom to on the other, and be done. B  The
trouble
> is that I can't seem to find anybody that makes/sells these anymore. B I
can
> find 'em used, but figured a new one might work out better as I wouldn't
> have to replace the bearings, etc.
>
> Does anybody have a link to a manufacturer/vendor of these? B Failing that,
> how about a magic search term that would bring them up?
>
> Or are they really a thing of the past in this OSHA driven world? :-/

Is
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ball-bearing-mandrels/motor-supplies/motors/
ecatalog/N-9ym
the sort of thing you're talking about?

I suspect they're out of fashion because direct drive grinders are
cheaper, easier to deal with (no belts to futz with), have fewer
vibration problems, and generally work better.  Note that one end of
the shaft has left-hand threads.  Direction of rotation is important.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums