Re: [Shop-talk] Patching fiberglass

To: Nolan <opposumking@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Patching fiberglass
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:53:08 -0400
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Nolan <opposumking@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Is there a reasonably simple way to tell the difference between
>> polyester and epoxy?
>
> If you're talking about looking at a fiberglass fender or boat or widget
> that was manufactured, it almost certainly was polyester. B That is what is
> pretty well universally used in production. B It's cheap.

Quite a lot of boats are made of vinylester.  It's better than
polyester (which isn't waterproof.  That's a disadvantage for things
in water...), and much cheaper than epoxy.

I'd use epoxy to fix anything, though.  Epoxy will adhere to the
underlying resin better than the exisiting resin sticks to itself.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums