Re: [Shop-talk] small band saw?

To: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] small band saw?
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:52:01 -0400
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Jimmie Mayfield
<mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org> wrote:

> Go much smaller than that and I think you'll be better off with a high quality
> jigsaw (check out the Bosch 1591...it's spendy but it's the best jigsaw I've
> ever used) or maybe even a scroll saw depending on the type of cuts you're
> planning to make.
>
> JM

Keep in mind that a bandsaw blade is about 20x bigger than a jigsaw
blade, so it will last maybe 20x longer.
Also, the fact that it moves smoothly in only one direction makes it
less likely to destroy delicate work.

I have a Bosch jigsaw (I, too, recommend them), and at one point I was
mounting it upside-down in vise to make a poor-man's scroll saw.  It
sort of worked, but I wouldn't do it again!  Not too safe!

Doug

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums