Re: [Shop-talk] small band saw?

To: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] small band saw?
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 08:55:03 -0400
A few years ago I decided to buy a small bandsaw.  I took home a
Ryobi model from HD, but returned it because it was just too flimsy
and wobbly.  (Ryobi specialized in die-casting using the least
possible amount of material...)

Then I checked out everything that was available locally.  I ended up
getting a Sears "Companion" 8" saw.  It was quite inexpensive, but it
was actually the sturdiest of anything I could find in the 8-9" size
range.

One tip:  Replace whatever cheesy blade that comes with the saw with a
good made-in-USA model. I got a nice replacement Lenox blade from
www.toolcenter.com.  The saw took an oddball-length blade, but they
made custom lengths.  If you are cutting small stuff like 1/8" think
plywood, you will certainly need a finer-tooth blade than the one that
came with the saw.

Doug

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums