Re: [Shop-talk] Miter saw or compound miter saw

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Miter saw or compound miter saw
From: "Nolan" <opposumking@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 06:53:40 -0400
> OK - here's a little more of my ignorance exposed. Aside from
> cross-cutting
> wider boards, which isn't my main need, is there any other advantage to a
> sliding compound miter saw saw vs a chop-style compound miter saw ?

Not really.  And yes, deflection of the ways or tubes on a slider can be
significant.  And yes, in the case of the chopsaw type (non-slider) it's
blade size that dictates the width of the cut.  I went with a 10" slider
because I wanted the ability to make wider cuts at an angle.  When you angle
the blade, it doesn't take much wood to exceed the cut limit of a rigid 10"
blade.  Being able to slide lets me use a smaller blade and smaller saw,
which can be cheaper and easier to handle.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums