Re: [Shop-talk] communications cable to garage

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] communications cable to garage
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:00:57 -0700
> Luckily it is only about a 50 foot run, but I have been thinking of 1inch
> conduit - as others have said it could be better in the long run when it
> is time to recable.

You will, of course, want separate conduit runs for power and for data.

On the data side of things, there's very little that can't be done over
Cat6 these days, but some things can take a bunch of pairs and/or the
baluns/transformers/etc. can cost real money so leave room to run twice
as much as you think you'll need.

When we did our remodel circa 2003 I ran what was then called 2+2 (2
Cat5E + 2 RG6 coax) all over the house, plus more Cat5E to specific
places I knew I'd need it, and more RG6 to certain places where I
figured I'd need it.  Then I ran speaker wires around the living room,
master bedroom, and my office.

Right now most of the RG6 goes unused; the DirecTV multiswitch connects
to a pair of coax runs to my office where a pair of DirecTV tuner boxes
reside, but the rest of the video distribution is via (mostly) gigabit
ethernet.

The speaker wires have mostly proven useful, though I wired the living
room for a subwoofer in a location that proved to be awful and so it's
now running over a couple powered preamp-level-to-UTP baluns.

If I were doing it now, I'd skip all but a few specific coax runs and
run a bunch more conduit (right now I've only got a few things in
conduit, like up and down the wall from the crawlspace to the MBR closet
and up to the attic where the termination panels are located) - running
coax inside any conduit size that'll reasonably fit inside a 2x4
studwall just doesn't work.

John.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums