Re: [Shop-talk] Dex-Cool

To: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dex-Cool
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:28:08 -0400
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM, old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just replaced the cam belt and water pump on my wife's 2000 Saturn LW2
(3.0L DOHC, 24 valve V6). It was time (100K miles and the tensioner pulley was
getting noisy).

> Anyway, I flushed and replaced the coolant with Dex-Cool and then Googled it
and saw all the complaints about Dex-Cool, so I thought I would tap the
collective wisdom of this esteemed group.

> If you were flushing a Dex-Cool equipped car, would you replace it with
Dex-Cool or go with the "green stuff?" B (I searched the archives and could
not find much there about it).

> It is truly the work of the devil or are the problems caused by running low
levels, air oxidizing, mixing with regular coolant, etc.?

Almost all the probelms with dex cool are really problems with low
levels, in many vehicles caused by a defective radiator cap.  replace
the cap, refill with a dex-cool clone, call it a day.  check the level
on a regular basis, and fix any leaks.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com