Re: [Shop-talk] Dex-Cool

To: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>, shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dex-Cool
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:46:49 -0400
I was faced with the same thing.  I guess I've decided to stick with
the Dex-Cool.  It is what the manufacturer specified and it has been
working OK so far.  Keep in mind that there are three main kinds of antifreeze:

IAT:  Inorganic Additive Technology (this is the traditional green stuff)
OAT: Organic Additive Technoloogy
HOAT: Hybrid Organic Additive Technology

Note that the "A" in the above is sometimes for "Acid" which makes
sense for some but not others.  Someone decided it can also be
"Additive" so they can all end in nice "AT" initials.

Anyway, Dex-cool is an OAT product.  Prestone in the ubiquitous
yellow containers used to be IAT, just like they all were for many
decades.  Now Prestone says "All makes, all models" and is in fact an
OAT antifreeze.  If you want to find that green, "what you always
used to use" stuff, you have to look around.  Zerex still makes
it.  This is becoming an issue in classic car circles, as some
believe that the old AIT stuff is best for those applications.  Also,
color is not a reliable indicator, as there are too many exceptions.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums