[Shop-talk] Echo string trimmer

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Echo string trimmer
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:43:55 -0500
A few days ago I was cleaning out a fence line. The string trimmer was
doing fine. Then it was as if someone just turned off the switch, it
slowed from full speed to stop without any poor running or noise.

The fuel is fresh, with the correct mixture.

I gave it a shot of ether to see if it would start, it did not respond.
To me, this rules out a fuel problem.

I replaced the plug, which looked good.

After a trip to the local lawn equipment shop I was told that
compression was low, and that I should just buy a new trimmer. They also
said that I had a 4 cylinder spark plug in it, and that they run hotter
than the 2 cycle plug, possibly burning the piston.

I didn't think that the compression was any lower than it has been for
years, so I brought it home and pulled the cylinder. The piston looks
fine and the rings are not stuck. There is no scoring of the cylinder or
piston.

I connected a neon electrical test light from the high tension lead to
ground and got a spark. Connecting the light in series with the plug and
lead did not produce any light. I figured that the coil went bad. I have
a spare engine from a Mantis tiller that is made by the same company as
the Echo, so I mounted up the coil from that engine but got the same
results.

The shop said that in their 30 years of being in business they have
never seen an ignition coil or flywheel on these engines go bad.

My money is on the ignition. Anyone else have any guesses?

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums