Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:44:40 -0500
Peter,
I don't think that is correct.  My house has two outlet circuits
wired with a single run of 14-3 Romex and a 220 breaker.  Some
outlets use one side of the 220, some use the other.  But they all
use the common neutral.  This was reasonably common practice to save
wire, and met the code, at least 25 years ago when my house was
built.    Besides,  I don't think the loads add the way you say.  In
fact, because they are out of phase, they cancel out.  This is why
you try to balance the load between the two sides of the 220 at the
panel.  DISCLAIMER:  I am not an electrician.  I can speak with
authority on how my house was wired, but I'm not an authority on the
National Electric Code, or whatever codes apply to where you live.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums