Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question
From: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:12:31 -0600
I think you need to control the circuit with a 220 breaker so that both phases
will be turned off at the same time.

Rich White St. Joseph, IL USA
'63 TR3B TCF587L
That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!

> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:35:43 -0800
> From: doug@dougbraun.com
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question
>
> Hello,
>
> I want to install an electrical outlet (the standard 120V duplex type) in a
box where both phases (sic) are available. I have noticed that duplex
receptacles normally have both sockets connected together, but there are
little break-away tabs that would allow you to wire each socket independently.
So, i was thinking of hooking up the receptacle so that each of the 120v
phases was connected to a different socket (and of course the neutral was
common to both).

> So, I am wondering: Is this code-compliant? Is there any disadvantage to
doing it? BTW, the junction box is supplied from a single 20-amp duplex
breaker.