Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:16:05 -0500
On 3/11/2010 5:35 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to install an electrical outlet (the standard 120V duplex type) in a
>box where both phases (sic) are available.  I have noticed that duplex
>receptacles normally have both sockets connected together, but there are
>little break-away tabs that would allow you to wire each socket independently.
> So, i was thinking of hooking up the receptacle so that each of the 120v
>phases was connected to a different socket (and of course the neutral was
>common to both).

Do not use a common neutral.  Each outlet needs is own common return.
If you use a 20A duplex break and 12 gauge 3 wire (4th wire bare ground)
romex (rated 20A IIRC) and install 20A outlets, the two hot leads will
be protected to 20A but a common return could be carrying 40A if you
plug in 2 20A loads, twice the rating for 12 gauge.

Peter Thomas

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums