Re: [Shop-talk] Car dealer tomfoolery and Costco Auto Buyer program

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Car dealer tomfoolery and Costco Auto Buyer program
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:19:20 -0500
>From my brother's internet ramblings: www.vernco.com
---------
The nickname Vern came from another job, way back in another lifetime.  My
foreman's nemesis was a guy named Vern.  My foreman was often dealing with
somebody complaining about what Vern did.  After a while, all forty of us in
our department (Aircraft Maintenance) started giving the name Vern whenever
asked, such as when answering the phone, awaking from naps, etc.  This came
in extremely handy whenever we got in trouble, as our foreman had to figure
out which of the forty Verns was the real culprit.

Long after the original Vern retired, we were still using his name.  When we
received internet access at work, all sorts of threatening memos were issued
about personal use.  Naturally it made sense to log on as Vern to use the
work computers for surfing.  We were hoping that if our company's internet
police cracked down, they would report that a guy named Vern was disobeying
company policy.  The best part was that the real Vern was long retired,
which would make the internet police look a tad bit foolish.
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell