Re: [Shop-talk] Downsizing tools and maximizing garage space

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Downsizing tools and maximizing garage space
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:24:29 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Patton Dickson wrote:
> It occured to me that I have lots of tools I just don't use, and many I may
> be able to downsize.   What would you list as your bare essentials of tools.
> I am thinking a full set of hand tools, work bench, vice, shop vac, air
> compressor, jack, stands, chocks, electrical testers and lots of lights.  I
> am not going to do body work again on my own, and specilized stuff like
> engine hoists can be rented or borrowed.

    You just missed hitting the nail on the head in that last sentence...
obtain one or more friends with more space, but fewer tools.  Loan them
everything you don't need, on an open-ended basis... 'borrow' it back when
you do.  My engine hoist and stand are a few miles south of here, but I
can still use them almost anytime I want.

    As soon as you sell or give away anything, you'll need it a week later.

--
  David Hillman