Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:25:46 +0430
Randal writes...

>With respect, Moose, I believe the problem goes deeper than that.  I
don't
>fully understand the issues, but one of the people killed was a 20 year
>veteran of the California Highway Patrol.  After 20 years working CHP, I
>have to believe he was reasonably adept at dealing with emergency
>situations.  Some of the salient points seem to be:

I don't want anyone to think that I'm taking Toyota's side on this issue.
In fact, I despise Toyotas as I feel they are 'dumbing down' the
automarket. But that is just a personal opinion and I don't want to start
any Marquee wars here.

What I was trying to say was that the reason this recall is such big news,
and no one hear of Steve's Eagle recall for (I believe) a similar problem
was the amount of cars that are involved.

I was not aware of the other issues you mentioned, but it does get filed
in my "another reason to not like Toyota" file.

I would not put it past Toyota to try to hide MAJOR design flaws with
"floor mats."  In fact, I was wondering why they just didn't
remove/replace the floor mats and continue sales.  But your assumptions
support the facts!

For the people here that think the government is trying to deal GM a
better hand, you are giving WAY TOO much credit to our government.  There
is no way they could pull off something like this.
As for the GM rebate, it is what ANY major car company CEO should do right
now.  That is business 101.

Moose
Waldo Emerson