Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: "Team shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:53:22 -0600
Brian Kennedy

> Why didn't she turn the ignition off?

As someone else pointed out - it was a keyless ignition - you have to
push the stop button and hold it down and it supposedly wasn't
responding.

Still, the recall and total stoppage of selling Toyotas seems a bit
extreme.  The problem has only affected a very small number of cars
(less than 10?) out of hundreds of thousands (or would that be
millions?).  Yes, it's still serious, but it's not like it was killing
people left and right (and I am sorry for those that did get killed).

My '96 Ford Ranger was just subject to a recall - using the cruise
control can cause an under-hood fire.  Ford had to recall, hundreds of
thousands of Ranger, Explorers, F-150, and many models of their cars
(they used the same system on a lot of their vehicles), to replace a
harness under the hood.  Yes, it has potential problems, but my truck
managed to run for 120,000+ miles and 14 years without catching on fire.
Just like there are hundreds of thousands of Toyotas out there that have
not had their throttle stick.

They definitely do need to fix the cars under recall, but the media has
hyped this one up a bit too much (although there seems to be indications
that Toyota was trying to cover things up, maybe they were just trying
to determine what was happening)...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA