Re: [Shop-talk] Lighting

To: "Galt, Stuart A" <stuart.a.galt@boeing.com>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lighting
From: "Gil Fuqua" <Gil.Fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:21:29 -0600
Take a look at T-8 fluorescent fixtures.  I had old 8' fixtures in my
shop that I supplemented them with 400 W metal halide ones.  The metal
halides are good and put out a lot of light, yet they have 'issues'.
They are slow to come on, they are a very bright point source of light
(don't look up at them), and they dim over time.  They put out about 60%
of the rated output as they age.

The T-8 lamps have a 20,000 hour average life.  They come on instantly
and work in cold weather.  Their light output drops only about 2% over
their rated 20,000 hour life.

I replaced the metal halides with fixtures that have 6 bulbs that are 4'
long.  The fixtures have a chrome reflector behind the bulbs that boosts
the light output.  They provide a much more even light than the metal
halides and are much easier on the eye.  Another benefit of the T-8
bulbs is the availability of different color temperature bulbs.  I like
the daylight balanced bulbs in my shop. I bought the fixtures at a local
industrial supply shop for about $120 each with the bulbs.

They are very energy efficient and that's why a lot of the big box
stores have replaced the metal halide fixtures with either T-8 or T-5
fixtures.  The T-5s are somewhat better for the various specs but tend
to cost more, especially for the replacement bulbs.

Gil Fuqua
Nashville