Re: [Shop-talk] dish pointing

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dish pointing
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:21:02 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Arvid Jedlicka wrote:
> I will agree with "poorly aimed" and the difference between "signal on the
> meter" and "maximum signal strength".. I have installed and aimed both my old
> dish and the new HD dish. The old dish was reasonably tolerant of aim to the
> point where I could aim it using the receivers signal strength meter and get
> good results.

    I was wondering if maybe the difference between my experience and
others' had to do with the age of the equipment.  I've had DTV since '99,
and only the set-top box has been replaced ( 8 or 9 years ago the first
one flaked out ).  Maybe the newer non-HD equipment is more reliable?

    That said, what do you guys consider sufficient signal?  I get 100% on
2 transponders, low/mid-nineties on a dozen others, seventies/eighties on
about 15, and none at all on a couple.  ( All on-screen meter numbers. )

--
  David Hillman