Re: [Shop-talk] dish mounting

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dish mounting
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:39:25 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> The problem with most installations is that the dish is set on a pole,
> which is extended from a flat (or pitched) surface.  This means that the
> dish is effectively a tall sail in all windy conditions.  Over time, the
> wind can move (albeit every slightly) in a direction.  Not to mention that
> it vibrates the dish when it is windy.

    This describes my current installation, which is on the plumbing vent,
although it isn't very tall ( below the top roofline ).

> Also, with nothing protecting if from above, it is open to all the
> elements.  Placing it on the side of a building with a slight overhang
> will do wonders.

    This describes my original two mounts, on vertical walls with slight
overhangs.

> Seriously, it makes a world of difference.

    In my case, there's no difference at all between the two.  And to my
recollection, we've never lost signal on a dry, windy day with the new
more-exposed pipe mounting.  Dry and windy only happens here about 150
days a year, though ;)

    All your theories make perfect sense, but they donn't make any
difference on my house.  Btw, if you're mounting under a slight overhang
in a snowy climate, try to pick a spot with good winter sun to melt off
the snow, so you don't have to get out a ladder in the snow.  Or a little
heating element on a switch, would be brilliant.

    For what it's worth, the Hughes satellite broadband dish I used to have
suffered the same weather problems.  That dish did not move at all in
wind, or any other weather ( huge 3" diameter main pole, with 3' arms in
several directions, all professionally installed with 4" bolts into my
roof joists ).  The problem is that some days, there's just too much crap
in the air between it and the bird.  Not often, mind you, just on the days
you want to sit inside and watch TV.

--
  David Hillman