Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:51:32 -0800
         I've tried the blue T-taps in the past and don't like
them.  They're tough to use in tight spaces, sometimes don't crimp down
properly if your pliers aren't at the correct angle and seem to really cut
into the wire strands.
         I used the Posi-lock taps when I retrofitted my Golf with traction
control and electronic stability last year.  This required tapping into
several wires of differing sizes most of which were under the dash in
confined spaces.  The Posi-locks worked superbly even on some really small
wires.  Easy to use when space is tight.  Removable with little damage to
the wire.
         I installed and removed one on a scrap piece of wire - they
basically have a needle that sticks into the wire pushing through the
strands.  Didn't cut any strands.  You could remove one, seal the
insulation with some RTV and it'd be good as new.
         I wouldn't use any sort of tap on a high current situation, but I
won't use the old blue T-taps again.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 270,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       227,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff