Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 11:35:52 -0800
Scotch-locks are 3M's version of wire nuts.  You have to have two (or
more) stripped wire ends to connect with them.  T taps are crimp on
connectors that connect in the middle of a wire, no cutting necessary as
the metal connector in the T tap cuts the insulation when the connector
is crimped onto the wire.

I generally regard T-taps as a Bad Thing and won't use them on my
motorcycles or cars. (I try to avoid wire nuts, too.)  They get loose,
can cut the wire, and generally cause problems.  I prefer a soldered
splice on motorcycles, or, better  yet, a fused auxiliary distribution
panel.