Re: [Shop-talk] Web based PLC

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Web based PLC
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 09:59:21 -0500
eric@megageek.com wrote:
> I don't want to have a 220v line run from the pump, up the 5 stories to
> the roof of the building.  So I was thinking that I could put a network
> PLC device up near the tank  and another one near the pump.  I could log
> into the device via a web interface and program it to turn the pump on and
> off based on the position of the contacts in the float switch.

Sounds like an awfully complex solution.  Is the network stuff already
in place?  I could see doing it in a factory where the network is a
given and you have a bunch of other ones to manage.

But couldn't you use some simple low voltage signaling to a plain old
relay at the pump?

> one to turn on and off the pump." You have to love countries where labor
> is cheap.

Yeah, right up to the point where they become a "problem" and/or reason
to wage war.  Oh well, it's cold here.  Off to walmart for a new afghan.

-Wayne