Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire changer.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire changer.
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:17:30 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Jim Stone wrote:
> More lube might help (thanks Roland), but it will also "help" the
> breaker slip off the the tire, which I think is the main problem.  And,
> I don't think it is leverage either (thanks Gerald) , although an
> extension can't hurt if I can figure out how to keep the breaker from
> slipping.  Which makes me think of something relatively simple that
> might do it: what if I drilled a pilot hole in the sidewall right below
> where the breaker contacts the rim and screwed a lag bolt in the
> sidewall to keep the breaker from slipping?  That might allow me to get
> the leverage I need to break the bead.

You certainly don't want lube there.  There's no way to get lube to the
place it needs to be without breaking the bead.  :-)

Drilling the hole and sticking something in it that would grab it would
work, but seems pretty high on the PITA front.  Plus it obviously destroys
the tire, which I often don't want to do.

> Unless someone can think a reason why this is a really dumb idea, I'll
> give it a try over the weekend and report back.

Only downside I see is wrecking the tire, which probably doesn't matter
for you.  I'd say to give it a go.

Mark