Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire changer.

To: <robolane@sbcglobal.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire changer.
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:24:52 -0600
At some point, my frugal/cheap nature has to give up, and I think driving over
the tires is past that point.  But, it is a thought....  A special breaker
tool is probably the way to go, but I am not sure I want to invest any more
money in this project.

More lube might help (thanks Roland), but it will also "help" the breaker slip
off the the tire, which I think is the main problem.  And, I don't think it is
leverage either (thanks Gerald) , although an extension can't hurt if I can
figure out how to keep the breaker from slipping.  Which makes me think of
something relatively simple that might do it: what if I drilled a pilot hole
in the sidewall right below where the breaker contacts the rim and screwed a
lag bolt in the sidewall to keep the breaker from slipping?  That might allow
me to get the leverage I need to break the bead.

Unless someone can think a reason why this is a really dumb idea, I'll give it
a try over the weekend and report back.

> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:28:15 -0800
> From: robolane@sbcglobal.net
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Shop-talk] HF Tire changer.
>
> I feel your pain.  I had the same problem braking the beds on some really
old tires and wheels.  One of the problems is those old tires sidewalls are
really soft and that lets the breaker angle to slide.  I ended up driving my
truck up on the tires just as close to the wheel as possible.  I think  I left
the truck parked on the tire and jumped on, or drove a breaker bar between the
tire and wheel next to the truck wheel, It finally got the beads broke down.
I eventually bought a breaker tool that hooks on on the wheel on the opposite
side of the wheel from the bead breaker.  It is not  perfect but gets the job
done.  I have contiplated chaining the wheel to the upright post of the
changer to keep the wheel from scooting away.