Re: [Shop-talk] GPS Systems

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GPS Systems
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:29:45 -0500
At 01:50 PM 12/12/2009, Steve Hammatt wrote:

 >Looking for recommendations for a portable GPS system for our
cars.  Needs to
 >be portable and self-powered because we'd probably use it during our antique
 >car tours as well as with our daily drivers.

I went through this last Xmas.  My oldest son wanted a GPS and I didn't know a
thing about them.  I went to several stores and asked a lot of
questions, but still
didn't really have much to go on.

My son had found a Garmin Nuvi 350 online for $150!!!  Usually $300-$500 range.
I looked at all that was offered and decided I didn't know what I was
looking at.
He had some friends that had the 350 so he was used to it.   So I ended up
buying 2 of the 350s, one for each son.  The youngest said he really
didn't want
it, so I bought it from him.

All in all, I'm very happy with it.  I like the way it talks to you -
but I think most of
them do that now.

Look around on-line and you might be able to find a similar price.

As for being totally self powered, I don't know how long the
batteries will last.
But it can be used self powered, and comes with a car charger and I think a
wall charger (don't remember - never used it).

Garmin is probably the leader in GPSs with Tom-Tom and several others trying
to copy them.  I don't think you'll go wrong with a Garmin.

 >Any direct experience regarding brands (Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, etc.) and
 >desired features? Christmas time is drawing near<grin>

Some things I don't like about them is most only allow for 1 way point.  Many
times I want to go someplace, but it will route me in a way that I don't really
want to go.  It's kind of hard to trick them into going the way you want.

I know with Google maps and Rand McNally Tripmaker, I usually get around this
by setting "stop overs" or way points.

They won't let you set several stops, and figure out what the best route is.

John
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic